The establishment of the educational institution has a deep historical background related to the industrial development of the region. Historical research shows that the roots of technical education in Luhansk were laid in the XIX century.
In 1827 a scientific and technical society started its activity at Luhansk Foundry. In the same year, the training of young people in technical disciplines began. In August 1839 the Luhansk factory school was opened. The educational and scientific base for the future technical school was created by the outstanding coryphaei of science – Ivan Augustovich Time (“Resistance of metals and wood to cutting”), Apollo Fedorovich Mevius (“Training course of metallurgy of iron, iron and steel”), “Iron foundry production”), Felkner Iliodor Fedorovich (“Machines and tools for metal processing”, “Companion of a mechanic-builder”, “Public companion of a mechanic-builder”), Kovalevsky Evgraf Petrovich (“Geognostic review of the Donetsk ridge” (1829)) and others. )) and others.
The educational establishment was founded on March 27, 1920, when Luhansk People’s College headed by the Rector P.K. Migulin was established.g
Subsequently, the college was named “Luhansk Evening Workers College” (LEWC). It trained “red” engineers at 2 faculties (mechanical and electrical) for 4 years.
Classes were already held in the building of the former Pushkin School on Patronna Street, and later in the former four-story Vasnev building on Bankivska Street (now Shevchenko Street). The 4th floor was allocated to the technical school.
In 1927, LVRT was allocated the second and third floors of the permanent premises at 38 Lenina Street.
1927 – the first graduation of engineers (11 people) in the specialty “Steam Power Equipment”.
1930 – according to the Resolution of the Council of People’s Commissars of the USSR, the technical school was reorganized into Luhansk Evening Workers’ Machine-Building Institute. The first graduation of engineers of LVRMI in the specialty “Construction” took place in 1932.
1934-1939 – the functioning of the educational institution was suspended, in 1939 it was restored.
During the war, the university was evacuated to the Russian city of Omsk and reorganized into the Omsk Machine-Building Institute.
1945-1959 – the educational institution operated in branches: Kharkiv Mechanical Engineering Institute, Moscow Correspondence Institute of Metal Industry (now Moscow State University of Instrumentation and Informatics (MSUII)), Kharkiv Polytechnic Institute named after V.I. Lenin.
1960 – the institution was reorganized into an independent Luhansk Evening Machine-Building Institute with the number of students 940 in the evening form of study.
1962 – the training of students at the full-time department began.
May 8, 1993 East Ukrainian State University was founded on the basis of Luhansk Engineering Institute and several higher educational institutions of Luhansk and Luhansk region.
1996 – the university was granted the status of a higher educational institution of the IV level of accreditation.
September 11, 2000 – the university was granted the national status with its own name: “East Ukrainian National University”.
2001 – the university was named after Volodymyr Dahl.
September 2004 – signing of the Magna Charta of Universities in Bologna (Italy) by the Rector of Volodymyr Dahl East Ukrainian National University, Professor O.L. Holubenko.
2004 – completion of the construction of a new building.
March 2010 – opening ceremony of the monument to Volodymyr Dahl near the main building of Volodymyr Dahl East Ukrainian National University.
March 24, 2010 – Volodymyr Dahl East Ukrainian National University was granted the status of a national self-governing (autonomous) research higher educational institution.
In 2014, according to the Order of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine No. 1132 of 06.10.2014 “On the organization of the educational process at the Volodymyr Dahl East Ukrainian National University”, the university was moved to Sievierodonetsk.
In 2020, the 100th anniversary of the university was celebrated at the state level. The relocated university has become a phenomenon of higher education in Ukraine and an example of sustainability, the desire to develop and improve the quality of education even in difficult conditions of existence near the front line and permanent hostilities.
The selfless work of employees during 2014-2022 allowed to fully restore educational and scientific activities, create new sites and laboratories. Volodymyr Dahl East Ukrainian National University improved its position in the TOP 200 ranking and in 2021 entered the QS Emerging Europe and Central Asia University Rankings for the first time. During the period 2014-2022, the university implemented more than 50 international, national and regional projects, created 16 new laboratories and modern multifunctional educational spaces. For this purpose, the university attracted more than 1.5 million euros and equipment as part of international technical assistance.
In March 2022, with the beginning of the full-scale invasion of Ukraine by the armed forces of the russian federation, a new stage of development of the university began at new locations: Dnipro, Kamianets-Podilskyi, Kyiv.
According to the Order of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine №922 from 18.10.22. Volodymyr Dahl East Ukrainian National University received a temporary location in Kyiv.